"DINTON, a parish in the hundred of Warminster, in the county of Wilts, 4½ miles W. of Wilton, and 9 W. of Salisbury. It is situated on the river Nadder, and is a station on the London, Yeovil, and Exeter branch of the London and South-Western railway, and is a meet for the South Wilts hounds. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, value with the curacy of Teffont-Magna, £410, in the patronage of Magdalen College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a decorated chancel, and a good Norman font. There is a Dissenting chapel and a parochial school. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £390, and the vicarial for £360. The Dean and Canons of Windsor receive a rent-charge of £84 10s. Edward Hyde, Earl of Clarendon, was born here."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Population 536 in 1831, 458 in 1951.
Common to all parishes is a WSRO registers: Chr 1559-1920, Mar 1559-1997, Bur 1558-1979
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dinton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Dinton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Dinton from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU012329 (Lat/Lon: 51.095135, -1.984191), Dinton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)