"DRAYCOT CERNE, a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, in the county of Wilts, 3½ miles N.E. of Chippenham, its post town, and 6 S.W. of Malmesbury. It is situated on the river Avon, and is crossed by the Great Western railway. The manor was anciently held by the Cerne family, from whom the parish takes the suffix to its name. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £234, in the patronage of the Earl of Mornington, who is lord of the manor, and has a park and mansion at Draycot. The church is an ancient edifice, with a tower. There is a free school for boys, with a small endowment. The other charities amount to about £19 per annum. Saxon arms and implements have been found here"
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Tony Woodward has provided a sample 1891 Census Transcription for Draycot Cerne and Tytherton Kellaways.
Common to all parishes is a IGI Chr 1691-1812 Batch C054352, Chr 1813-1875 Batch C054351, Mar 1754-1837 Batch M054351
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Draycot Cerne to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Draycot Cerne has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Draycot Cerne from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST939786 (Lat/Lon: 51.506334, -2.089205), Draycot Cerne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)