"ETCHILHAMPTON, a chapelry in the parish of Allcannings, hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 3 miles S.E. of Devizes, its post town. It is situated at the base of a small hill in the vale of Pewsey, near the source of the small river Avon, which runs by Salisbury into the English Channel. Another river of the same name rises in the vicinity, and passing through Bath and Bristol, falls into the Bristol Channel at Pill. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Allcannings, in the diocese of Salisbury. The chapel-of-ease is rather an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Andrew, and contains monumental effigies of a knight and lady in the costume of the reign of Edward IH. There is a free school in the village. Lord Ashburton is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
If you have been unable to find the 1841 census for this parish, Wiltshire and Swindon Archives website provides the answer as one of their Wiltshire History Questions.
Common to all parishes is a Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1630-1837
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Etchilhampton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Etchilhampton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Etchilhampton from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU045602 (Lat/Lon: 51.34087, -1.936783), Etchilhampton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)