"FISHERTON-ANGER, a parish in the hundred of Branch and Dole, county Wilts. It is situated on the western bank of the river Avon, and is a suburb of the city of Salisbury, with which it is connected by a stone bridge. A monastery of Black Friars was founded here about the 13th century. Both the Great Western and South-Western railways have stations here, and the gaol for the county, as well as the infirmary, are situated on the side of the river. There is also a private lunatic asylum conducted in Fisherton House.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £212. The church is a modern stone and flint structure, with tower and spire. It is dedicated to St. Paul, and stands on the site of the former St. Clement's. The charities consist of Hayter's almshouses, with an endowment producing about £200 per annum, and other bequests yielding nearly £40, for the poor and school purposes. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, and there is a National school for boys and girls."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Fisherton Anger is now part of Salisbury.
Common to all parishes is a National Burial Index 1608-1837
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fisherton Anger to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Fisherton Anger has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Fisherton Anger from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU136305 (Lat/Lon: 51.0736, -1.807466), Fisherton Anger which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)