"GREAT WISHFORD, a parish in the hundred of Branch, county Wilts, 3½ miles N.W. of Wilton, and 6 N.W. of Salisbury. It is a station on the Great Western railway. The village is situated on the road from Salisbury to Bath, and on the Willey stream, which runs through the parish. The soil is in general chalky. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £472. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, was enlarged in 1829. In the interior are monuments of Sir Richard Grobham, and of Thomas Bonham, Esq., once lord of the manors. The register commences in 1558. The charities produce about £180 per annum, of which £65 is the endowment of Sir R. Howe's school, and £80 of the 4 almshouses founded by Sir R. Grobham in 1628; the remainder is applied to the apprenticing of poor children and gifts to 10 poor families on Christmas Eve. The Earl of Pembroke is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Common to all parishes is a VRI Chr 1558-1906
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Wishford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Great Wishford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Great Wishford from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU081355 (Lat/Lon: 51.118732, -1.885652), Great Wishford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)