"HORNINGSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Heytesbury, county Wilts, 4½ miles S.W. of Warminster, its post town, and 5½ S.E. of Frome. The parish, which is small, is situated on the borders of Somersetshire. From one of the hills a view is obtained over portions of the counties of Wilts, Dorset, and Somerset. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Sarum, value £215, in the patronage of the Bishop of Salisbury. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was rebuilt in 1845 at the expense of the Marchioness of Bath, and has an oak roof and old tower. The charities produce about £41 per annum, of which £31 goes to Cray's schools. The Independents have a chapel. There is a National school, and a school supported by the Marquis of Bath. Longleat House, the principal residence, in an extensive park, is chiefly situated in the parish of Longbridge Deverill. It is the scat of the Marquis of Bath, who is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Common to all parishes is a IGI Chr 1784-1837 Batch 077811 (RG4 1905)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Horningsham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Horningsham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST819417 (Lat/Lon: 51.174686, -2.26018), Horningsham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)