Kington St Michael
"KINGTON ST. MICHAEL, a parish in the N. division of the hundred of Damerham, county Wilts, 3½ miles N.W. of Chippenham, its post town, and 36 from Salisbury. The parish, which is considerable, contains the tythings of Easton Piercy, Kington St. Michael, and Kington Langley. It formerly belonged to the Saxon kings, who gave it to Glastonbury Abbey, which had a Benedictine nunnery cell, founded prior to the reign of Henry II. Some traces of it are still to be seen at a farm. Its revenue at the Dissolution was £38 3s. 10d. It was once a market town, but is now an inconsiderable village. The surface is flat, and the soil clay alternating with sand and stone brash. Building stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of St. Peter's annexed, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £450. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient Norman structure with a modern tower containing six bells. In the interior are some stained-glass windows, several monuments, and brasses of Lady Englefield, Snell, &c. The body of the church was built by Abbot Michael in the reign of Henry III. The parochial charities produce about £45 per annum, of which £5 goes to Bowerman's school, and £33 to Lyte's almshouses. A fair is held on the 6th October for horses."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Kington St Michael is 3 miles NW of Chippenham. Grid Ref ST903772. Postcode SN14 6JA. Population of Kington was 1,091 in 1831 including Kington St Michael, Easton Percy and Kington Langley; population of Kington St Michael 476 in 1951. Kington Langley is 1 mile East of Kington St Michael.
Common to all parishes is a National Burial Index 1563-1837
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kington St Michael to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kington St Michael has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST918764 (Lat/Lon: 51.486184, -2.119288), Kington St Michael which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)