"LEIGH-DE-LA-MERE, a parish in the hundred of Chippenham, county Wilts, 5 miles N.W. of Chippenham, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Malmesbury. The village of Leigh consists of the church, parsonage, and manor farm, the rest of the parish forming the hamlet of Sevington. The parish derives its name from the De-la-Mere family, who sold it prior to the year 1369. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £236. The living is a rectory with the curacy of Sevington annexed, joint value £290, in the diocese of Gloucester, and Bristol. The living was once held by a brother of Bishop Latimer, who was interred here. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is a neat edifice with a curious bell turret. The church was rebuilt in 1846 at the expense of the late Joseph Neeld, Esq. At Sevington is a small dame school. Sir John Neeld, Bart., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Leigh Delamere or Leigh de la Mere is 5 miles NW of Chippenham. Grid Ref ST885793. Postcode SN14 6JY. Population 128 in 1831.
If you have been unable to find the 1841 census for this parish, Wiltshire and Swindon Archives website provides the answer as one of their Wiltshire History Questions.
Common to all parishes is a Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1800-1837
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Leigh Delamere to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Leigh Delamere has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST872788 (Lat/Lon: 51.507566, -2.186279), Leigh Delamere which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)