"LITTLE SOMERFORD, a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, county Wilts, 3 miles S.E. of Malmesbury, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £241. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure with a square tower. The Rev. Charles Wightwick is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Little Somerford is 3 miles SE of Malmesbury. Grid Ref ST967844. Postcode SN15 5JW. Population 376 in 1831, 271 in 1951.
Common to all parishes is a National Burial Index 1605-1837
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Little Somerford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Little Somerford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Little Somerford from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST963844 (Lat/Lon: 51.558874, -2.054057), Little Somerford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)