"LONG NEWNTON, a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, county Wilts, 1½ mile E. of Tetbury, in Gloucestershire, and 4 miles N.W. of Malmesbury. It was called by the Saxons Newantune, and had right of common granted by King Athelstane. The parish is bounded on the W. by a branch of the river Avon. The village, which is small, and wholly agricultural, is situated on the road from Gloucester to Portsmouth. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £365, with a glebe of 23 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £370. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a modern structure, except the tower, rebuilt at the expense of the landholders. The peal of bells has recently been increased to six. There is a village school, supported by subscription. The Right Hon. Thomas H. S. Sotheron Estcourt, M. P., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Long Newnton is 3 miles NW of Malmesbury, and 1 mile SE of Tetbury (Gloucestershire), and was transferred to Gloucestershire. Grid Ref ST910925. Postcode GL8 8RR. Population 307 in 1831, 419 in 1951.