"LIDDIARD-TREEGOOZE, a parish in the hundred of Kingsbridge, county Wilts, 4 miles N.W. of Swindon, its post town, and 3 from Wootton Bassett. The Great Western railway and the Wilts and Berks canal pass through the parish. It was anciently called Lidiar, and came through the Beauchamps of Bletsoe, to the St. Johns, viscounts Bolingbroke, in whose family it has remained since the reign of Henry VI. The village is situated on the road from Oxford to Bath. The parish is of large extent, and the land chiefly in pasture, with about 350 acres of woodland. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £603 18s. 5d. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £628.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a square tower containing five bells. It was partly rebuilt in 1683 by the Bolingbrokes, and was thoroughly restored about twelve years ago. The interior of the church contains several ancient banners and helmets, and the monuments of the viscounts Bolingbroke. The parochial charities produce about £21 per annum, bequeathed by the Rev. R. Miles for clothing of the poor. There is a school for both sexes, supported by Lord Bolingbroke and the rector. Liddiard Park, the seat of Lord Bolingbroke, who is lord of the manor, is situate at a short distance from the church."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Lydiard Tregoze is 3 miles West of the centre of Swindon, and now on the outskirts of the town. Grid Ref SU104847. Postcode SN5 3PA. Population 772 in 1951.
The church of St Mary is usually kept locked, but visitors can collect the key from the main house of Lydiard House and Park. This house and grounds are also open to the public, and now belong to Swindon Borough Council.
Common to all parishes is a Church Records and Indexes for Wiltshire, including a complete Marriage Index for the county.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Lydiard Tregoze, St Mary:
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lydiard Tregoze to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lydiard Tregoze has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Lydiard Tregoze from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU087827 (Lat/Lon: 51.543391, -1.875744), Lydiard Tregoze which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)