"MANNINGFORD-ABBOTS, a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 2 miles S.W. of Pewsey, its post town, and 8 S. of Marlborough. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated on the rivulet Avon. The village consists of a few straggling houses, and the inhabitants are wholly engaged in agriculture. The manor anciently belonged to Llanthony Abbey, and, after the Dissolution, was granted to the Duke of Somerset, lord protector. The surface is greatly undulating, and the soil a clayey loam alternating with sand. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £300. The church is a neat structure of ancient erection. There is a village school supported by subscription."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Manningford Abbots or Manningford Abbas is 2 miles SW of Pewsey. Grid Ref SU145588. Postcode SN9 6HY. Population 165 in 1831.
Information and links for indexes including a complete Marriage Index for Wiltshire are in a page on Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1538-1863
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Manningford Abbots to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Manningford Abbots has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Manningford Abbots from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU155580 (Lat/Lon: 51.32114, -1.778369), Manningford Abbots which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)