"NETTLETON, a parish in the hundred of North Damerham, county Wilts, 8 miles N.W. of Chippenham, its post town, and 10 N.E. of Bath. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the Roman way Akeman Street. It is wholly agricultural, and is remarkable for a large barrow on which are three stones of a cromlech. About two-thirds of the land are arable, and the remainder pasture and meadow, with 40 acres of woodland. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £440. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £408. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing five bells. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. Thomas Penrice, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Nettleton is 8 miles NW of Chippenham. Grid Ref ST822779. Population 448 in 1831, 489 in 1951.
If you have been unable to find the 1841 census for this parish, Wiltshire and Swindon Archives website provides the answer as one of their Wiltshire History Questions.
Common to all parishes is a IGI Bir 1827-1836 Batch C093201
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Nettleton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Nettleton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST816786 (Lat/Lon: 51.50647, -2.267089), Nettleton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)