"NORTON-COLEPARLE, a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, county Wilts, 4 miles S.W. of Malmesbury, its post town, and 8 N.W. of Chippenham. The parish, which is inconsiderable, is situated near the Roman way Ackman Street. The inhabitants are wholly engaged in agriculture. The surface is elevated and wooded. The soil is chiefly clay, alternated with stone brash. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £77 14s., and the vicarial for £100. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £110. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to All Saints. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Norton Coleparle or Norton is 4 miles SW of Malmesbury. Grid Ref ST885844. Population 113 in 1831, 170 in 1951.
Common to all parishes is a Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1800-1837
- A transcription of the section for Norton Coleparle from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Norton Coleparle to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Norton Coleparle has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Norton Coleparle from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST888843 (Lat/Lon: 51.557781, -2.163405), Norton Coleparle which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)