"OAKSEY, a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, county Wilts, 6 miles S.W. of Cirencester, its post town, 5 N.E. of Malmesbury, and 2 S. of the Tetbury Junction railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the line of the Cheltenham railway, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes Flintham and Wick. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £500. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has an embattled tower containing six bells. The church has some stained windows, and an ancient square font. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a National school. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. Mrs. Salisbury, of Salisbury, is lady of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Oaksey is 5 miles NE of Malmesbury. Grid Ref ST991936. Population 494 in 1831, 334 in 1951.
Common to all parishes is a Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1800-1837
- A transcription of the section for Oaksey from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Oaksey to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Oaksey has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Oaksey from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST996936 (Lat/Lon: 51.641003, -2.006807), Oaksey which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)