Orcheston St Mary
"ORCHESTON ST. MARY, a parish in the hundred of Branch, county Wilts, half a mile N. of Orcheston St. George, and 11 miles S.E. of Devizes, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. It is situated near the road from Devizes to Salisbury. The glebe comprises 38 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £361, in the patronage of Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone edifice, with a square tower containing three bells. The chancel has recently been rebuilt. Miss M. F. Mills is lady of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Orcheston St Mary is 7 miles NW of Amesbury. Grid Ref SU058456. Orcheston St George and Orcheston St Mary are shown together as Orcheston on current Ordnance Survey maps. Population 134 in 1831, 1851 see Orcheston St George.
Common to all parishes is a VRI Chr 1875-1899
- A transcription of the section for Orcheston St Mary from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Orcheston St Mary to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Orcheston St Mary has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Orcheston St Mary from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU058456 (Lat/Lon: 51.209578, -1.918353), Orcheston St Mary which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)