"ROLLSTONE, (or Rowleston), a parish in the hundred of Elstub, county Wilts, 10 miles N. of Salisbury, 5½ W. of Amesbury, and half a mile S. of Shrewton. Devizes is its post town. The village, which is of small extent and wholly agricultural, is situated on the road from Salisbury to Devizes. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £170, and the glebe contains 5 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Sarum, value £150. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient edifice, and has recently undergone thorough restoration. W. A. Heathcote, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Rollstone or Rollestone is 5 miles West of Amesbury, and adjacent to Shrewton. Grid Ref SU072434. Postcode SP3 4HF Population 39 in 1831.
Common to all parishes is a Phillimore Marriages 1654-1812 (vol 6)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rollestone to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rollestone has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Rollestone from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU072434 (Lat/Lon: 51.18978, -1.898354), Rollestone which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)