"SALISBURY, (or New Sarum) comprising the parishes of St. Martin, St. Thomas, and St. Edmund, it is a city, market town, municipal and parliamentary borough, having separate civil jurisdiction, but locally in the hundred of Underditch, county Wilts, 82 miles S.W. of London, and 28½ from Winchester. It has stations on the Basingstoke section of the London and South-Western and Salisbury and Warminster branch of the Great Western railways, communicating directly with the metropolis, and another an the Bishopstoke branch of the South-Western, connecting it with the port of Southampton.
This city owes its origin to the decline of Old Sarum, which is believed to have been a seat of the Belgæ prior to the Roman invasion of Britain, and was selected by the latter people as a station on the highway to the W., the three roads to Winchester, Silchester, and Dorchester branching off at this point, and probably three others to Bath, Ilchester, and a station on the Kennet; but these last are only traceable in certain localities: numerous coins of the several Roman emperors have also been found within its area. Under the West Saxons it first became the seat of a bishopric, founded by Ina in 704, but for a time resident at Sherborne, in Dorsetshire, whence the see was removed in 905 to Wilton, in Wilts, and afterwards to Old Sarum, or the ancient Salisbury, which William of Malmesbury describes as more properly a castle than a city, being situated on a barren hill, and encompassed with a high wall."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Chandler, John - Endless Street A History of Salisbury and its People, first published in 1983, reprinted with corrections in 1987, new edition Sept 2001, 400 pages including 48 pages of illustrations with six chapters covering Nativity, Maturity, Working, Travelling, Governing & Living, the cover is a vast canvas of life in Salisbury and Old Sarum over the past millennium. Published by Hobnob Press, PO Box 1838, East Knoyle, Salisbury SP3 6FA. Available from Devizes Books, Handel House, Sidmouth St, Devizes, Wilts, SN10 1LD, and from Wiltshire FHS.
Common to all parishes is a IGI Chr 1723-1785 Batch C077931
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Salisbury to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Salisbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Salisbury from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU151307 (Lat/Lon: 51.075511, -1.785578), Salisbury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)