"SHERRINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Branch and Dole, county Wilts, 4 miles S.E. of Heytesbury, its post town, 3 N.W. of Wiley, and 7 S.E. of Warminster. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Wiley, and is wholly agricultural. The South Wilts hounds meet at Sherrington Pond. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £259, and the glebe comprises 21 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Sarum, value £238. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a small structure containing a bell turret. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. On the downs are several barrows. The Rev. P. A. Fane is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Sherrington is 5 miles NE of Hindon. Grid Ref ST960393. Postcode BA12 0SN. Population 179 in 1831, 96 in 1951.
Common to all parishes is a Phillimore Marriages 1677-1837 (vol 12)
- A transcription of the section for Sherrington from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sherrington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Sherrington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Sherrington from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST960393 (Lat/Lon: 51.152942, -2.058571), Sherrington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)