"SOUTH NEWTON, a parish in the hundred of Branch and Dole, county Wilts, 2 miles N. of Wilton, its post town and railway station, and 5 N.W. of Salisbury. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Wiley, and is wholly agricultural. The parish comprises the tythings of Stotford, Ugford, and three others. The road from Bath to Salisbury passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Sarum, value £221. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient, structure, with a square tower containing four bells. The whole edifice is in a ruinous condition. The register dates from 1695. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There are a National school, and a place of worship for the Dissenters."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
South Newton is 2 miles N of Wilton. Grid Ref SU087343. Postcode SP2 0QY. Population 565 in 1831, 436 in 1951. For photo of church see Geograph photo by ChurchCrawler - and for other photos nearby see Geograph photos in grid square SU0834.
Common to all parishes is a National Burial Index 1604-1837
- A transcription of the section for South Newton from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from South Newton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which South Newton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for South Newton from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU087343 (Lat/Lon: 51.107933, -1.877108), South Newton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)