"SOUTHBROOM, a chapelry in the parish of Bishop's Cannings, hundred of Potterne, county Wilts, 2 miles from Devizes, its post town. It is situated on the Kennet and Avon canal. The Devizes Union poorhouse and a lunatic asylum are situated in this district. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Sarum, value £150, in the patronage of the vicar. The church is a modern structure. Southbroom House is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
The parish called Southbroom in some lists (LDS Church Family History Library Catalogue, Phillimore Atlas and Index of Parish Registers) is called Devizes, Southbroom St James in other lists (County Record Office). It was a Chapelry of the parish of Bishops Cannings, Devizes Union. It is now part of Devizes, East of the centre. The church is in Estcourt Street just before the famous Moonrakers Crammer Pond, with Devizes Green to the left. Estcourt St follows on from route A361, London Rd to Devizes. It is the Wiltshire Regiment Garrison Church. Grid Ref SU010614. Postcode SN10 1LW.
- For current information - St James's Church website.
Common to all parishes is a Church Records and Indexes for Wiltshire, including a complete Marriage Index for the county.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Southbroom, St James:
- WSRO registers: Chr 1572-1974, Mar 1572-1979, Bur 1572-1946
- BTs with gaps from 1620
- IGI Chr 1572-1770 Batch C059152 and 1771-1875 Batch C059151 and 1876-79 Batch C059153, Mar 1572-1753 Batch M059152 and 1754-1883 Batch M059151
- VRI Chr 1876-1879
- WFHS transcript Chr and Bur 1576-1837
- White Horse Baptisms 1574-1837
- Phillimore Marriages 1572-1837 (vol 6)
- Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1572-1837
- National Burial Index 1568-1837
- A transcription of the section for Southbroom from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Southbroom to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Southbroom has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU010614 (Lat/Lon: 51.351676, -1.987027), Southbroom which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)