"STANDLYNCH, a parish in the hundred of Downton, county Wilts, 5 miles S.E. of Salisbury. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated on the river Avon, and is wholly agricultural. Trafalgar House, the principal residence, is in a well-wooded park. It was purchased by the crown trustees to be conferred on the brother of Lord Nelson in 1805."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Standlynch or Standlinch is 5 miles SE of Salisbury. Standlynch Farm is at Grid Ref SU191240, Postcode SP5 3QS. Postcode SP5 3QR is Trafalgar House. Population 31 in 1831.
Common to all parishes is a Church Records and Indexes for Wiltshire, including a complete Marriage Index for the county.
No church records, so far as we know. There is a church, described by Pevsner as being built in 1677. It is adjacent to Trafalgar House, built in 1733 and given by the nation to the heirs of Lord Nelson in 1814.
The Downton Story. The story of a parish-sponsored mass emigration of paupers from Downton, Wiltshire to Upper Canada in 1836.
- A transcription of the section for Standlynch from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Standlynch to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Standlynch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU197239 (Lat/Lon: 51.013754, -1.720862), Standlynch which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)