Stanton St Quintin
"STANTON ST. QUINTIN, (or Lower Stanton), a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, county Wilts, 4 miles N.W. of Chippenham, its post town and railway station, and 5 S.W. of Malmesbury. The village, which is small, is situated on Akeman Street, and is wholly agricultural. The Beaufort hounds meet in this parish. There are stone quarries. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £312. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is an ancient cruciform structure with a Norman tower, and was once collegiate. There is a free school for both sexes, chiefly supported by the Earl of Radnor and the Rev. C. G. Cotes."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Stanton St Quintin is 4 miles NW of Chippenham. Grid Ref ST905798. Postcode SN14 6DQ. Population 317 in 1831, 1,184 in 1951.
Common to all parishes is a VRI Chr 1679-1905, Mar 1679-1855
- A transcription of the section for Stanton St Quintin from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stanton St Quintin to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Stanton St Quintin has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Stanton St Quintin from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST912803 (Lat/Lon: 51.521614, -2.128816), Stanton St Quintin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)