"LANGFORD STEEPLE, (or Great Langford), a parish in the hundred of Branch and Dole, county Wilts, 5 miles N.W. of Wilton. The parish includes the tything of Hanging Langford. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the navigable river Wiley and the road to Bath. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £720. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £600, in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to All Saints. The parochial charities produce about £3. On a hill called Yarnborough Castle are traces of a British camp."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Steeple Langford is 6 miles NW of Wilton. Grid Ref SU036374. Postcode SP3 4NG. Population 587 in 1831, 458 in 1951.
Common to all parishes is a BTs before surviving registers for 1608, 1622-38, 1672-
- A transcription of the section for Steeple Langford from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Steeple Langford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Steeple Langford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Steeple Langford from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU036374 (Lat/Lon: 51.135862, -1.949926), Steeple Langford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)