"STOURTON, a parish partly in the hundred of Mere, county Wilts, and partly in that of Norton Ferris, county Somerset, 2 miles N.W. of Mere, its post town, and 10 from Frome. The village is on the road from Bath to Poole, and near the river Stour. The parish includes the hamlet of Gasper. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Sarum, value £520. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has tombs of the Stour tons and Ho ares, including that of Sir Richard, the antiquary. The parochial charities produce about £68 per annum. Near Penn, or Wedgewood, in that part of the parish within the county of Somerset, are several thousands of pits or hollows, scattered over a surface of nearly 700 acres, forming a wide boggy tract, and supposed to be the site of a British town."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Stourton is 2 miles NW of Mere. Grid Ref ST775339. Postcode BA12 6QE. Population 653 in 1831, 361 in 1951.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stourton to another place.
- Cathy Day has extensive records and pedigrees for Stourton. For more details see her website Stourton, Kilmington and Mere Genealogies.
You can see the administrative areas in which Stourton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST775339 (Lat/Lon: 51.103954, -2.322739), Stourton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)