"SWALLOWCLIFFE, a parish in the hundred of Dunworth, county Wilts, 12 miles S.W. of Salisbury, its post town, and 8 N.E. of Shaftesbury. The village is situated under Sheet Hill, and on the road from Salisbury to Shaftesbury. There are quarries of building stone. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Sarum, value £80, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has been rebuilt, with a tower and three bells. The register dates from 1738. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum, realised from poors' land. There is a National school for the children of this parish and that of Anstrey. Middle Deam [sic] House is the principal residence. The Earl of Pembroke is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Swallowcliffe is 6 miles SE of Hindon. Grid Ref ST964271. Postcode SP3 5PA. Population 278 in 1831, 192 in 1951. For description, photos see community website.
Common to all parishes is a Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1813-1837
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Swallowcliffe to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Swallowcliffe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Swallowcliffe from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST964271 (Lat/Lon: 51.043242, -2.052726), Swallowcliffe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)