"WARMINSTER, a parish, post and market town, in the hundred of Warminster, county Wilts, 4 miles S. of Westbury, and 9 from Trowbridge. It is a station on the Wilts and Somerset branch of the Great Western railway, on the river Willey, and near the south-western boundary of Salisbury Plain. It is a petty sessions and polling town, including the hamlets of Boreham and Bugley. Warminster is mentioned in Domesday Book as Guersminstre, and having been held in demesne by Edward the Confessor paid neither Danegeld nor Hidage. The manor subsequently came through the Mauduits, Hungerfords, Howards, and others, to the Thynnes, of Longleat."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
The historic parish is St Denys.
|St George, Warminster (Roman Catholic)|
Common to all parishes is a IGI Chr 1762-1836 Batch C078051
'Virtual Warminster' is a website with information including a timeline and a bibliography.
- A transcription of the section for Warminster from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Warminster to another place.
Parish Magazine Index 1901-1902 is from Paul Benyon, index by Judy Ramsey.
You can see the administrative areas in which Warminster has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Warminster from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST859458 (Lat/Lon: 51.211633, -2.203317), Warminster which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)