"WEST DEAN, a parish partly in the hundred of Alderbury, in the county of Wilts, and partly in the hundred of Lower Thorngate, in the county of Hants, 7 miles S.W. of Stockbridge. It contains East Grimstead. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value with East Grimstead, in Wilts, £446, in the patronage of the Rev. H. Glossop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has tombs of the Evelyns, of Dean House, which is now in ruins, and a curious monument, with copper doors, dated 1669, to the Right Hon. R. Pierpoint, whose effigy in marble represents him undergoing the surgical operation under which he died. There is a chapel-of-ease at East Grinstead, in this parish. The foundations of a Roman villa were discovered here in 1740."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
West Dean is 7 miles SE of Salisbury. Grid Ref SU258272. Postcode SP5 1JQ. Population 360 in 1831, 180 in 1951.
Common to all parishes is a Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1800-1837
- A transcription of the section for West Dean from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Dean to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which West Dean has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU244289 (Lat/Lon: 51.05873, -1.653614), West Dean which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)