Wilsford (near Pewsey)
"WILSFORD, a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 6 miles S.W. of Pewsey, and 7 S.E. of Devizes. It is situated on the river Severn, and is frequently written Wivelsford and Wilsford Dauntsey. The parish includes the tything of Manningford-Bohun and the hamlet of Cottenham. The living is a vicarage,* value £250, in the patronage of St. Nicholas Hospital, at Salisbury. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. Sir Francis Astley is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Wilsford or Wilsford Dauntsey is 4 miles SW of Pewsey. Grid Ref SU103572. Postcode SN9 6HD. Population 512 in 1831, 205 in 1951. There is another Wilsford near Amesbury.
Common to all parishes is a Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1800-1837
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wilsford (near Pewsey) to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wilsford (near Pewsey) has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Wilsford (near Pewsey) from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU121556 (Lat/Lon: 51.299722, -1.827893), Wilsford (near Pewsey) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)