"BEOLEY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Pershore, in the county of Worcester, 6 miles to the E. of Bromsgrove, its post town. It lies on the border of Warwickshire, near the Redditch branch of the Bristol and Birmingham railway, and is included in the Poorlaw Union of King's Norton. In the 17th century the manor of Beoley belonged to the Sheldon family, who supported the royal cause. The manor house was burnt down by the Cavaliers, that it might not be captured by the parliamentary forces. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester, value £73, in the patronage of W. Holmes, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. In a chapel adjoining the chancel are some monuments of the Sheldons. Beoley Hall is the principal residence. Near this seat are remains of a castle which belonged to the Beauchamps and Mortimers, and was burnt in 1303. The North Warwick hounds meet at Beoley Wood."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]