CLENT - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CLENT, a parish in the hundred of Seisdon, in the county of Worcester, 4 miles S.E. of Stourbridge, its post town and railway station. It was formerly included in the county of Stafford. The living is a vicarage* [the asterisk denotes that there is a parsonage and glebe belonging to the living] in the diocese of Worcester, value £417, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Clement, is an ancient stone edifice in the Gothic style of architecture. The following are its charities:- the interest of £500, left by Mr. Waldron for a Sunday school, books, and clothing to be distributed on the 1st of January annually; the interest of £500, left by Mr. Harris to the poor; the interest of £200, left by John Amphlett, for the education of fifteen boys; besides various sums for the poor left by Esther Cardiwen, William Cole, Gilbert Cole, William Taylor, and John Moris. There are National schools for both sexes. The repairs of the church are provided for by a bequest of 40 acres of land, and the inhabitants have the right of common over 500 acres on the Walton and Clent hills. Lord Lyttelten is lord of the manor."
"HOLYCROSS, a hamlet in the parish of Clent, county Worcester, 3 miles S.E. of Stourbridge. Cattle fairs are held on the 11th April and 12th September."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]