"DROITWICH, comprises the parishes of St. Andrew, St. Mary, St. Nicholas, St. Peter, and a part of Dodderhill; it is a market town, municipal and parliamentary borough, and capital of East Worcestershire, in the hundred of Halfshire, in the county of Worcester, 6 miles N.E. of Worcester. It has stations on the West Midland, and Bristol and Birmingham section of the Midland railways. The limits of the parliamentary borough are more extensive than the municipal; the former comprising, according to the census of 1861, 1,504 houses, inhabited by a population of 7,086, while the latter contains only 663 houses, with a population of 3,124. It returns one member to parliament."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]