"GREAT MALVERN, a parish and post town in the lower division of the hundred of Pershore, county Worcester, 5 miles N. of Upton-on- Severn, and 8 W. of Worcester. It is a station on the Worcester and Hereford line of railway, and the junction station of the Tewkesbury and Malvern branch line. It is a watering-place, situated on the eastern declivity of the Malvern hills, which here separate the counties of Worcester and Hereford. The parish contains the hamlets of Barnard's Green and Newland, besides the town of Malvern, which has recently become a place of considerable importance."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]