"HANLEY CASTLE, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Pershore, county Worcester, 1½ mile N.W. of Upton, its post town, 6 miles W. of Defford railway station, and 9 S.W. of Worcester. The parish, which is extensive, is situated on the river Severn, and includes the chapelry of Malvern Wells. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments under an Enclosure Act in 1795. It was successively possessed by the Nevilles, earls of Warwick, the Despensers, and the Lechmeres, who had a castle here on the banks of the Severn."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]