LITTLE MALVERN - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LITTLE MALVERN, a parish in the hundred of Lower Oswaldslow, county Worcester, 4 miles S. of Great Malvern, its post town, and 1 mile S. of the Malvern-Wells stations, on the Worcester and Malvern and Tewkesbury and Malvern branch railways. The village, which is small and wholly agricultural, is situated under the Malvern Hills, on the roads from Ledbury to Worcester and Upton. It formerly had a Benedictine cell to Worcester Abbey, founded in 1171 by the two brothers Joceline and Eldred, in a gloomy cavity under the Herefordshire Beacon, which is partly in this parish. From the summit of this hill, which is 1,444 feet above the sea-level, a most extensive view is commanded over the rich plains of Worcester, Gloucester, and Hereford, with the hills of South Wales in the distance.
The land is chiefly rich meadow and woodland, comprising some of the finest oak timber in England. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Worcester, value £44. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, formerly belonged to the Benedictine priory. It is an ancient stone structure, some part of which is in ruins; but the parts used as the parish church, including the tower and chancel, are in good preservation, and have recently been repaired. There is a Roman Catholic chapel. Adjoining the church is Little Malvern Court, constructed with the materials of the old priory. It has recently been restored. To the S. of the parish is a camp. Charles Michael Berington, Esq., is lord of the manor.
"NORTH HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Little Malvern, lower division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, county Worcester, 6 miles N.W. of Upton-on-Severn, and 2 S. of Great Malvern. It is situated amongst the Malvern hills, which here rise to the height of about 1,200 feet. The living is a perpetual curacy* [the asterisk denotes that there is a parsonage and glebe belonging to the living] in the diocese of Worcester, value £100, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is dedicated to St. James."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]