MARTLEY - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"MARTLEY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, county Worcester, 8 miles N.W. of Worcester, its post town. The parish, which is extensive, is situated in the fertile vale of Horsham, near the river Teme, which bounds it on the S. It includes the hamlet of Hillampton. The land is partly in hop-grounds, the produce of which is of the finest quality. The parish also abounds with luxuriant orchards of apple and pear trees. There is a quarry of good limestone, used for burning into lime, as well as for building purposes and repairing the roads.
The living is a rectory* [the asterisk denotes that there is a parsonage and glebe belonging to the living] in the diocese of Worcester, value £835. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a tower containing six bells. The church has recently been thoroughly restored, and contains 150 free sittings. The parochial charities produce about £89 per annum, of which £59 goes to the grammar school, and £15 to Shepherd's school. The union poorhouse is situated in this parish, which gives name to a union comprising 28 parishes or places."
"HILLHAMPTON, a hamlet in the parish of Martley, county Worcester, 7 miles N.W. of Worcester."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]