OLDBURY - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"OLDBURY, a township and market town in the parish of Halesowen, Halesowen division of the hundred of Brimstree, county Worcester, formerly in Salop, 5 miles W. of Birmingham, its post town, 4 N. by E. of Halesowen, and 3 E. of Dudley. It is a station on the Birmingham, Wolverhampton, and Stour Valley railway. It is a thriving place, situated in the heart of a rich mineral and manufacturing district. The town stands on the Birmingham canal, and on the high road from Birmingham to Dudley. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the coal mines, and in the iron and steel works, which are very extensive.
Brewing and malting are carried on, and there are brick and tile kilns. Limestone is abundant, and is largely used for building. Until recently, there was a small prison for the confinement of debtors. The living is a perpetual curacy* [the asterisk denotes that there is a parsonage and glebe belonging to the living] in the diocese of Worcester, value £156, in the patronage of the Vicar of Halesowen. The church (called Christ Church), was erected by grant of the parliamentary commissioners there is besides an additional church, also partly erected by the commissioners, which was opened in 1841, and has a tower.
There is a National school for both sexes, also schools for the Unitarians and Wesleyans. The Independents, Wesleyans, Baptists, Unitarians, Primitive and New Connexion Methodists, have each a place of worship. Courts leet and baron are held annually. Market day is Tuesday. Fairs are held on June 6th and October 3rd."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]