"OVERBURY, a parish in the middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, county Worcester, 5 miles N.E. of Tewkesbury. It is situated under Bredon Hill, and includes the chapelries of Alstone, Teddington, and Little Washbourne, and the hamlet of Conderton. There are stone-quarries, malt kilns, and a paper mill. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1811. The living is a vicarage* [the asterisk denotes that there is a parsonage and glebe belonging to the living] in the diocese of Worcester, value with the above curacies, £450, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Faith, is an ancient structure, containing a monument to W. Dowdeswell, with an epitaph by Burke. There are chapels-of-ease at Alstone, Teddington, and Little Washbourne. Elizabeth Wood, in 1824, bequeathed £200, of which the interest is distributed to the poor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]