Hide

OVERBURY - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"OVERBURY, a parish in the middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, county Worcester, 5 miles N.E. of Tewkesbury. It is situated under Bredon Hill, and includes the chapelries of Alstone, Teddington, and Little Washbourne, and the hamlet of Conderton. There are stone-quarries, malt kilns, and a paper mill. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1811. The living is a vicarage* [the asterisk denotes that there is a parsonage and glebe belonging to the living] in the diocese of Worcester, value with the above curacies, £450, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Faith, is an ancient structure, containing a monument to W. Dowdeswell, with an epitaph by Burke. There are chapels-of-ease at Alstone, Teddington, and Little Washbourne. Elizabeth Wood, in 1824, bequeathed £200, of which the interest is distributed to the poor."
"ALSTONE, a chapelry in the parish of Overbury, hundred of Oswaldslow, in the county of Worcester, 4 miles to the N.W. of Winchcombe, and at a short distance from the Cotswold hills. Tewkesbury is the post town. The living is a curacy united with the vicarage of Overbury, in the diocese of Worcester. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret."
"CONDERTON, a hamlet in the parish of Overbury, in the hundred of Oswaldslow, in the county of Worcester, 5 miles S. of Pershore, and 2½ E. of the Bredon railway station on the Birmingham and Bristol line."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]