PEDMORE - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"PEDMORE, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Halfshire, county Worcester, 1½ mile S.E. of Stourbridge, its railway station and post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated under the Cleat hills, and is chiefly agricultural. Pedmore, in the year 1699, was given to the blue-coat school of Stourbridge by Thomas Foley, Esq., the founder of that institution. Stone is quarried, and some of the inhabitants are employed in nail making.
The Oxford, Worcester, Wolverhampton, and Stourbridge railway passes through the village, as does also the road leading from Stourbridge to Bromsgrove. The land is chiefly arable, and well adapted for barley and turnips. The living is a rectory* [the asterisk denotes that there is a parsonage and glebe belonging to the living] in the diocese of Worcester, value £407, in the patronage of Old Swinford Hospital. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, nearly clothed in ivy. The Feoffees of Old Swinford are lords of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]