POWICK - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"POWICK, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Pershore, county Worcester, 3 miles S.W. of Worcester, its post town, and 6 from Malvern. The village is situated near the confluence of the rivers Severn and Teme. At the old bridge which crosses the latter Princes Rupert and Maurice defeated the parliamentary troops under Colonel Sandes in 1642. Near the old bridge is an iron one of modern date. A portion of the land is rich meadow, especially along the banks of the Teme, the remainder being arable, with some hop-grounds and about 160 acres of woodland and common.
The parish comprises the hamlets of Cleveland and Woodsfield. At a farm in the neighbourhood are the ruins of Beauchamp's Court, formerly the seat of the Beauchamps of Powick. There are many villa residences. The impropriation belongs to the corporation of Worcester. The living is a vicarage* [the asterisk denotes that there is a parsonage and glebe belonging to the living] with the curacy of Cleveland annexed, in the diocese of Worcester, value £290. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Lawrence, is an ancient cruciform structure with a tower of great height.
The interior of the church has undergone many improvements, and has several stained windows-that in the chancel being of great antiquity. It contains an octagonal stone font, also several tablets and monuments. From the church, which is on a hill in the midst of a cluster of trees, a prospect is commanded of the surrounding country. The parochial charities produce about £51 per annum. There is a National school at Powick, and another situated at Bastenford, about 1½ mile to the S.W. of the village. At Stanbrook, near the river Severn, is a nunnery which removed here from Salford, in Warwickshire. The Earl of Coventry is lord of the manor."
"CLEVELOAD, a hamlet in the parish of Powick, in the lower division of the hundred of Pershore, in the county of Worcester, 2 miles S. of Worcester. It is situated on the river Severn."
"WOODSFIELD, a hamlet in the parish of Powick, county Worcester, 4 miles S.W. of Worcester, and 2 from Powick, near the confluence of the rivers Teme and Severn."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]