"WELLAND, a parish in the lower division of Oswaldslow hundred, county Worcester, 3 miles S.W. of Upton-on-Severn. The village is situated near the Malvern hills. The parish, which is partly in common, is a meet for the Ledbury hounds. The living is a vicarage* [the asterisk denotes that there is a parsonage and glebe belonging to the living] in the diocese of Worcester, value £380, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. James. The charities consist of poor's land, let for about £16 per annum. Races take place in July."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]