ACASTER MALBIS: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"ACASTER MALBIS, a parish in the ainsty of the city of YORK, but chiefly in the wapentake of OUZE-and-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.W. from York, containing, with the township of Naburn, 657 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £5. 6. 5., endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of P. B. Thompson, Esq. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. A school is endowed with land given by John Knowles, in 1603, which is vested in feoffees, who appoint fourteen poor children on the foundation. The navigable river Ouse passes near the village."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]