Hide

ASKHAM BRYAN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"ASKHAM BRYAN, a parish in the ainsty of the city, and East riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W.S.W. from York, containing 377 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, within the peculiar jurisdiction of the lord of the manor, endowed with £800 private benefaction, and £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of R. J. Thompson, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A small endowment has been given for the education of poor children."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]