Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades for ASKHAM BRYAN in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
- Post Office at William Stephenson's, shoemaker. Letters via York arrive at 8-0 a.m., and are despatched at 6-30 p.m.
Miscellany of trades
- Buckle William, bricklayer
- Dixon Mrs. Patience, joiner
- Holden Cal. Henry, The Hall
- Lockwood John Henry, gardener
- Mason James, carrier and vict., Barstow Arms
- Mouncer Mr. Thomas George
- Preston Major Charles E., J.P.
- Shepherd Rev. James, A.K.C., The Vicarage
- Smith Frederick Luke, blacksmith
- Smith Mrs. Jane
- Wright John Wm., vet. surgeon, Walton house
- Wright William, vict., Fox and Hounds
- Barber Benjamin (and blacksmith)
- Baron Francis, Manor farm
- Cleveland Thomas
- Gillson Mrs. Elizabeth (and beerhouse and miller), Wind Mill House
- Gillson John (and miller), Askham Bryan mill
- Horner Robert Henry, Haggs farm
- Hornsby Mrs. Elizabeth
- Midgley Joseph, Marsh farm
- Milner James
- Prentice John
- Priest John, Askham fields
- Silversides William, Westfield house
- Taylor Handley, Eastfield house
- Vincent Mrs. Mary Ann
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.