Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: ASKHAM BRYAN. Church dedication: ST. NICHOLAS. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 1920 acres. Ainsty. - Population, 341; Church-room, 170; Net value, £120. -The town contained eight carucates of land held of the fee of Mowbray. And Bryan Fitzallan held the town of the honour of Richmond, rendering 5s. per annum to the warden of the Castle of Richmond.
The Priory of Healough had lands and a mill here.
The Church was appropriated to the Abbey of St. Mary's York, but no Ordination of a Vicarage appears to have been found by Mr. Torre or Dr. Ducarel.
Archbishop Sharp says, " this was heretofore a Chapel to Askham Richard, and that is the reason why it pays no tenths, nor Procurations, nor Synodals." In the Valor Ecc., however, 2s. for Synodals, and 7s. 6d. for Procurations, are named.
In Pope Nicholas's taxation, the Church is valued at £6. 13s. 4d.
The value in the King's Books (where it is returned as a Vicarage endowed with Mans. cum 2 Acr. Terr. de Gleba. Oblac. Decim. personal. Gallin. Porcel. Lan. et Agn.) is £2. 9s. 10d.
In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 528, the Vicarage is valued at £8 per annum. A fee farm rent of 20 nobles per annum is stated to be paid out of the Rectory to the Commonwealth.
Augmented in 1721 with £200 to meet benefaction of land worth upwards of £200 from Mr. Samuel Clarke, Sir A. Kaye, and others. In 1764 with £200 to meet benefaction of £50 from Peter Johnson, Esq. and £150 from the executors of the Rev. M. Buck ; and in 1803, with £200 and £200 to meet benefaction from Stephen Croft, Esq. of a messuage and lands worth upwards of £400.
Patron, H. Croft, Esq.
In Michaelmas Term, 44th Elizabeth, there was a decree in the Exchequer as to tithes, which is unreported.
An inclosure took place under an Act passed 51st Geo. III.
There is a glebe house fit for residence.
The Parliamentary Commissioners recommended that Copmanthorpe being three miles from the parish Church of Bishophill Junior, and but three quarters of a mile from Askham Bryan, be annexed to Askham Bryan.
The lord of the manor (which comprises the township of Askham Bryan only) has the right of granting probates of wills and letters of administration. The wills and administration bonds are kept by H. Croft, Esq. the lord of the manor, who resides at Stillington, or by the Steward. In 1829, the Steward returned that no wills had been proved or administrations granted within the last 20 years.
The Register Books commence in 1695.
Poor's land. Six acres left by William Alderson, and 5a. 2r. purchased with money left by the Rev. Mr. Hudson and others. Seven poor children taught out of the rent of part of the land.
Wade's rent charge. 10s.
Poor's money. Interest of £30. Samuel Clarke's gift, in 1754. Interest of £30 given in coals.
Mrs. Holling's gift, in 1732. Interest of £3 given in bread and ale.
Robert Hobson's charity, by will, dated 3d July 1800. Interest of £100 of which 10s. is to be paid to the minister for a sermon on Ash Wednesday. 25s. to the poor on that day, and the remainder to be applied in educating five poor children in reading and writing.
Lady Hewley's charity. £6 per annum, for teaching 12 poor children to read. -Vid. 10th Report, page 715.
Post town: York.
Vid. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, pages 117. 210. 242. 244. Torre's MS. page 336. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 65. Burton's Monasticon, page 281. Drake's Eboracum, page 391. Nonae Roll, page 228.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.