BILTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"BILTON, a parish in the ainsty of the city, and East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Bickerton, Bilton, and Tockwith, and containing 808 inhabitants, of which number, 223 are in the township of Bilton, 5 miles N.E. from Wetherby. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Bilton in. the Cathedral Church of York, rated in the king's books at £3. 16. 0d., endowed with £400 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £300 parliamentary grant. The church is dedicated to St. Helen. At Syningthwaite, in this parish, Bertram Haget, in 1160, founded a Cistercian nunnery for a prioress and twelve nuns, in honour of the Blessed Virgin, which, at the dissolution, had a revenue of £62. 6."
"BICKERTON, a township in the parish of BILTON, ainsty of the city, and East riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles E.N.E. from Wetherby, containing 149 inhabitants."
"TOCKWITH, a township in the parish of BILTON, ainsty of the city, and East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.E. from Wetherby, containing 436 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]