BILTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"BILTON, a parish in the Ainsty, county of York, 7 miles to the W. of York. Wetherby is its post town. It includes the townships of Bilton, Bickerton, and Tockwith. A Cistercian nunnery, dedicated to the Virgin, was founded at Symingthwaite, in this parish, by Bertram de Haget, about the middle of the 12th century. Its value at the Dissolution was £62. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £131, in the gift of the Prebendary of Bilton, in York cathedral. The church is dedicated to St. Helen."
"BICKERTON, a township in the parish of Bilton, York Ainsty, county of York, 9 miles to the W. of York."
"TOCKWITH, a township in the parish of Bilton, W. division of the Ainsty of York, county York, 5 miles N.E. of Wetherby, and 9 W. of York. The village is situated near the river Nidd and the Knaresborough and York railway. The soil consists of clay and gravel, with a mixed subsoil of clay and sand. The Wesleyans have a chapel, at which a Sunday-school is also held. A. Montague, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013