Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: BILTON. Church dedication: ST. HELEN. Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 4,150 acres. Ainsty. - Population, 894 *1; Church-room, 304 ; Net value, £131. -The Church was of the patronage of the Prioress and Convent of Synningthwaite, to whom it was given by till 11 Kal. A.D. 1293, Archbishop Romaine, on the submission of those nuns, constituted it a new prebend in the cathedral, and on the 7th Kal. November 1295, a Vicarage was ordained.
The Prebendary of Bilton is the Patron.
The Church of Bilton is valued in the taxation of Pope Nicholas at £20 and the Vicarage is valued in the King's Books at £3. 16s. per annum; the certified value in 1818 was £124. Synodals, 4s.
The Vicarage was augmented in 1761 with £200 to meet benefaction of £200 from the trustees of the Rev. Marmaduke Buck, and in 1817 with £300 by lot, from the Parliamentary grant.
An inclosure of the township of Tockwith took place 32d Geo. III.
In No. 36 of the Notitia Parochialis, is the following notice: " A small Vicarage under £30 per annum. Value was augmented in Charles II.'s time with 20 marks per annum by the Prebendary. The Prebendary presents. The Vicarage is endowed with small tithes, wool and lamb excepted." -(Signed) Robert Birdsall, vic.
In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 546, it is stated, " Vicarage £18 per annum. We think fit that the township of Wilstrop in the Ainsty, and the river of Nidd running betwixt oftentimes stopping the passage to the said Church, be divided from Hamerton and annexed to Bilton, together with the profits arising."
The town of Bilton contained nine carucates of land, held by Stephen de Waleys and Alice le Vavasour, of the heirs of Brus, who held it of Roger de Mowbray, and he of the King in capite, by the rent of 8d. per annum.
Henry Fitz Wido gave to the Church at Synningthwaite, one oxgang of land in Bilton.
And Jordan de Santa Maria and Alice his wife gave to the said nunnery, with the body of their son Richard, two oxgangs of land, with a croft and toft in Bilton. And Galfred Hugil gave them half a carucate of land there.
The Priory of Heleaugh had 16 oxgangs of land here, and also a rent charge ; and the Priory of Synningthwaite had also possessions in Bilton.
There is a glebe house fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1571.
The School, founded by Hall Plumer, Esq. in June 1805. House and half an acre of land. The master is paid £5 per annum for 10 free scholars.
Lord Wharton's Bible charity. Ten Bibles and 12 Catechisms are annually distributed by the Vicar. -Vid. 10th Report, page 717.
At Syningthwaite, in this parish, was a nunnery of the Cistercian order ; and at Skewkirk was a cell of the Priory of Nostell. -Mon. Ang. vol. v. page 463, vol. vi. page 102.
Post town: York.
Nonae Roll, page 227. Torre's MS. Peculiars, page 861. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 283. Drake's Eboracum, page 393. Burton's Monasticon, pages 281. 325. Mon. Ang. vol. v. page 463.
*1 Viz. Bickerton, 150; Bilton, 197; Tockwith, 547. In 1834, the Population was returned at 907.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.