Hide

BISHOPTHORPE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BISHOPTHORPE, a parish in the ainsty of the city, and east riding of the county of YORK, 3½ miles S.W. from York, containing 301 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £4, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, was rebuilt by Archbishop Drummond, in 1766, and adorned with a curious window, brought from the castle of Cawood. Tne parish was called St. Andrew's Thorpe until the manor was purchased, in the reign of John, by Walter de Grey, Archbishop of York, who built a palace and a chapel here; on which account, the episcopal prefix was given to it, and it has been the constant residence of the archbishops since the destruction of Cawood castle, in the parliamentary war. The palace was greatly enlarged and embellished by Archbishop Drummond, when that prelate took down and rebuilt the church. A National school was erected in 1815. Attached to it is a chapel, founded by de Grey; it is in the early style of English architecture."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]